Friday, January 22, 2010

Hospital visit and 30 weeks....


Here is a new pic of my belly at 30 weeks. So roughly 8-10 weeks to go, hopefully. We are hoping to take a pic every week now to see how much it changes. People say the weight gain is most noticeable in the last trimester so we shall see. So far I have gained 9 kg but expect that to ramp up in the next few weeks.
We went with the midwife today to see the birthing unit that we will be in. The rooms at Wellington Hospital have all been renovated and are pretty big and up to date which is nice. Each one has its own birthing pool too, which the woman (and man if he wants) can use for labour and for the actual birth if they choose. I am not sure Bryce would be keen to get in the pool during the the birth though....


Our midwife said today that Bryce's toilet would be down the hall, etc etc. We inquired why he wouldn't just use the one we have in the room and she said, "because sometimes there's more blood on that toilet and he might not want to use it". Bryce and I both looked at each other and freaked out a bit. We have been on a steep learning curve (as I am sure most first time parents are) with all this stuff and sometimes we still get a lil weirded out by the craziness of a birth. Its gonna be awesome, but I am not a good one with looking at strange fluids on the best of days, so I am a bit concerned that I may gag a lot when yucky substances are coming out of me. I guess that it is good training for the yuckier stuff that is gonna come out of both ends of our child soon after!
Check out the bars they have installed on the wall of the birthing room for women to hang on to ease some of the pain during contractions. Wild!

No comments: