Sunday, September 07, 2008

Hen's Party






We went to our friend Cindy's hen's party last weekend. This involved a 1 hr belly dancing lesson, with 20 or so women between the ages of 16 and 60(?). It was great fun, better than I had expected. We first had to place our hands on the hands on the woman in the circle beside you, and then using your hips, spell your name. She taught people with dots in their names how to be demure, but hip thrust forward to accentuate the dot in their name. Quite funny! I volunteered to be the groom, for one segment of the lesson. Little did I know that the teacher ("Moon Jelly") and Cindy were going to do a seductive dance for me, while I sat in a chair. Never would I have had a woman do that for me before, I must say. Cindy and I have had some giggles about it since then!
Back at Cindy's place, we had a feast, and lots of bubbles (champagne) and played some games (as you do). One of the games was a classic NZ children's party game called the Chocolate game. I had never played it before though, and as it involved chocolate, we were all keen. You had to roll a dice and if you rolled a six, you had the opportunity to put on all the clothing in the middle (a boa, fairy wings, and two gloves) and then use a knife and fork to eat a block of chocolate, BEFORE the next 6 is rolled by someon else. The panic really sets in, because as women, we don't often get offered chocolate, and then get it taken away from us, just before we are allowed to eat it. Some of the girls were eating the chocolate off the floor as it had fallen and it was difficult to pick it up with a gloved-up hand and fork. And chocolate off the floor is still chocolate and not to be wasted!!
Fun night: some shameful karaoke at the end and lots of dancing, but a really fun time.
In the pics, Clare, Charlotte, Kim, Michelle and me

No comments: