Monday, April 19, 2010

An update....

We are having fun getting used to being parents, although I am finding it too weird to not be coming back to school this term. It feels odd to being worrying about the plans and welfare of only one child now, instead of 125 each day.

Bryce is a great dad, and has been a fantastic partner in all of this. He takes care of the bottom half of Emily and I take care of the top half. The funniest conversation happened at about 4 am the other day when Bryce had put her to bed and I was going to get up and do the "next shift" when Bryce told me that I should get the bottle from the fridge to use for the next feeding. I found this pretty odd, as we are only breast feeding and do not have any bottles here at home. So I asked him where did the bottle come from and how did you get the milk? He said "I expressed it before". I again was confused and kept on prodding for an answer I could understand. "So, did you express the milk from me while I was sleeping?" I knew this couldn't be true, but was too fascinated at where Bryce has acquired breast milk on his own. He said, "No we took it out before the birth". What?? I had had no drugs, except gas during the birth and knew that surely Bryce and our midwife had not "milked me" before I gave birth, but was so confused!! Anyway, I ignored Bryce's instruction in the end and when he finally woke up later, and I asked him what he meant, we all realised that Bryce is a good "sleep-talker" and was just really tired!!

My body is healing quickly too, which is a blessing. I am not as sore when sitting as last week, and I am adjusting well to my new "implants". I am kidding of course, I didn't get implants, but this whole "milk coming in" thing is pretty random! I am ever impressed every day at how my body just "knows what to do" and how Emily's body i complimented and satisfied perfectly from the milk I can give her. I thought I would truly feel like (as one friend called it) a "dairy maid" but I don't feel as mammalian as I had fretted about!

1 comment:

Kirst said...

HELLO EMILY! Gee guys, she's absolutely gorgeous. And what a perfect name. Can't wait to meet the little tacker. Wish I knew when that might be. Pleased I've found your blog though so I can keep up with how you're all doing. Much much love to you all.
Kirst