Monday, November 26, 2007

We did it!



So, after all the training, and long hours on the bike, we both achieved our goal at the Taupo race this year. Bryce was training for 2 laps of the lake, 320km in total and I was aiming to beat my time on 1 lap (160km). Bryce started his race at 1:30am with Carl and Denise in the Giant van as his support crew. There were 54 other mad people, like Bryce who were at the start line early in the morning, and all of them keen to get around the lake as fast as possible so that the second lap wasn't taking too long. Bryce completed the race in 10 hours and 55 minutes and was thrilled. He had hoped to do it in less than 12 hours, so needless to say, he was smiling most of the night after the ride. I have done the race by myself (other saner people do it in groups of 2 or 4 to split up the distance) 2 times before this year and each time was over 7 hours (7:05 and 7:10). This year I did it in 6hours 11 minutes. So I was very happy with the outcome of all the hard training I had put in too. Rachel, Mark and Jess all rode around the lake too, each with great results. So all in all, everyone had a fantastic day/weekend and although I was hurting throughout the race and vowing never to do it again....I may be reconsidering and wondering if I have it in me to go under 6 hours. My butt hurts a lot less than it did on Saturday after the ride and I even treated myself to a massage tonight, so I am feeling pretty good post-event.
The question is then......what next?

No comments: